Sunday, February 27, 2011

Holocaust Memorial Museum


On Friday my Gifted and Talented class went to the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C. I had heard of how fantastic it was, and how much knowledge you gain from going. I was hoping that it was going to meet my high standards and teach me something new. When you first arrive, you receive a card of a person who lived in the time period of the Holocaust. You are then pushed into a small elevator and take up to the fourth floor. We saw many things. There was information everywhere you looked, and pictures and videos as well. The picture that stood out most to me was a picture of shaved off hair. It was a mass amount of hair from the concentration camp Auschwitz. There was just so much of it. It said it was hundreds of pounds of hair. My classmate and I were just astounded, thinking about how hair doesn't weigh that much.  It was much more than shown in this picture. There was also a section with shoes. It killed me to see all the different shoes; the baby shoes broke my heart. The museum was a terrific experience, but it also depressed me to see how inhumane people can be. I think going one time was a good experience but I probably would not go back because it was hard to walk through and actually see some of these things. I have seen how people can be, and it really shocks me. I understand why we learn about the Holocaust in many different grades. We will not let history repeat itself, we can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment